When I launched my career as an author in 2014, I discovered how much I didn’t know about writing. I quickly learned I needed to accomplish three objectives.
As a Christian writer I actively participate in ACFW and Word Weavers International. The first provides networking and learning opportunities. The second is a critique group. Oh yes, critiques are invaluable.
Thus far I’ve attended five conferences where in addition to taking some incredible workshops, I’ve met amazing writers, editors, and publishers. After all, unless you write as a hobby, know writing is a business and who you know makes a difference.
Study the Craft – Books I recommend:
- Writing Unforgettable Characters, James Scott Bell
- Getting Into Character, Seven Secrets A Novelist Can Learn From Actors, Brandilyn Collins
- Revision and Self-Editing for Publication, James Scott Bell
- Proofreading Secrets of Best Selling Authors, Kathy Ide
- The Elements of Style, William Strunk Jr.
- Common Mistakes Writers Make, Eva Marie Everson
- The Christian Writer’s Manual of Style 4th Edition, Robert Hudson
- Newsletter Ninja, Tammi Labrecque
- The Emotion Thesaurus, Angela Ackerman & Becca Puglist
- Social Media for Today’s Writers, Edie Melson & DiAnn Mills
When I created this website I had envisioned writing a weekly or monthly blog. Well, that didn’t work out. Now I guest blog for other authors. I also follow a number of blogs.